Preparing an Effective Resume
Before you start, outline on paper the key points you feel are necessary to include. This will include stating skills and abilities, work experience, leadership skills, key skills and competencies, previous jobs, extracurricular activities and hobbies / sporting achievements. Outlining these points will assist you in preparing a successful resume.
All your contact details should appear clearly at the top of the page. This information should include your name, address, telephone, facsimile and e-mail address. To ensure this information is made useful to the receipt and creates a positive impression ensure that you
- Avoid nicknames
- Use a permanent address
- Use a permanent telephone number and include the area code.
- Add your e-mail address. Ensure the email address sounds professional.
Stating an objective will allow you to express to the potential employers the sort of work you are interested in doing.
- Be specific about the job you are looking for.
- Tailor your objective to each employer you target/every job you seek.
If you don't have a sufficient amount of work experience you should list educational information first.
- List your most recent education achievements first.
- Include the details of the school, TAFE & college the education / course was completed at.
- Mention academic honors.
List the skills you learnt and the duties and tasks you performed. Include your work experience in reverse chronological order. Ensure to Include:
- Job title
- Name of business
- Location of work
- Dates of employment
- Describe your work responsibilities with emphasis on specific skills and achievements.
Ask people if they are willing to serve as references before you give their names and details to a potential employer.
Do not include your reference information on your resume, instead note at the bottom of your resume: "References can be provided upon request”.
- Run a spell check on your computer before anyone sees your resume.
- Get a friend to proofread. The more people who see your resume, the more likely that misspelled words and incorrect phrases will be brought to attention and amended.
The layout and design of your resume is important when creating a first impression to the receipt. Take the following points into consideration
- Use white or off-white paper.
- Print on one side of the paper.
- Use a font size of 10 to 14 points.
- Use non decorative typefaces.
- Choose one typeface and stick to it.
- Avoid italics, script, and underlined words.
- Do not use horizontal or vertical lines, graphics, or shading.
- Do not fold or staple your resume.
- If you must mail your resume, put it in a large envelope.
Note: Leading Edge is a staff placement agency servicing all areas throughout NSW including the surrounding areas of the Hills district, Baulkham Hills, Norwest Business Park, Kellyville, Parramatta, Blacktown, Wetherill Park, Richmond, Windsor , Ryde, Sydney CBD, Central Coast, Wollongong.