All your contact details should appear clearly at the top of the page. This information should include your name, address, telephone, facsimile and e-mail address. To ensure this information is made useful to the recipient and creates a positive impression, ensure that you:
- Avoid nicknames
- Use a permanent address
- Use a permanent telephone number and include the area code.
- Add your e-mail address. Ensure the email address sounds professional.
Stating an objective will allow you to express to the potential employers the sort of work you are interested in doing.
- Be specific about the job you are looking for.
- Tailor your objective to each employer you target/every job you seek.
If you don’t have a sufficient amount of work experience you should list educational information first.
- List your most recent education achievements first.
- Include the details of the school, TAFE & college the education / course was completed at.
- Mention academic honors.
List the skills you learnt and the duties and tasks you performed. Include your work experience in reverse chronological order. Ensure to Include:
- Job title
- Name of business
- Location of work
- Dates of employment
- Describe your work responsibilities with emphasis on specific skills and achievements.
Ask people if they are willing to serve as references before you give their names and details to a potential employer.
Do not include your reference information on your resume, instead note at the bottom of your resume: “References can be provided upon request”.